Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dueling Divas

So Ms Opal needed a little more R&R than could be found in the confines of the barn. She has stopped making milk and is lounging in the grass outside the barn. The swelling in her leg has gone down considerably, and she is eating well. She hasn’t gotten up in a few days but the consensus seems to be that it is less an issue of ‘can’t’ and more an issue of ‘don’t want to’.

So we carry hay, TMR and water to her throughout the day - who’s the diva now?

Ummmm, I’m thinking that is still probably me.

Gentlemen, you may want to check out of this piece right now, I am about to go girlie on you!

Because it wasn’t too long ago I began going to the barn with a face full of makeup, nearly every day. Ok, so I’m not exactly dressing up to go to the barn. It’s more like this weird little painting exercise that is creeping it’s way into my morning routine.

I get up, get the kids breakfast and one on the bus, do a little yoga, and go get dressed and wash my face. Skin feels tight, so a little tinted moisturizer feels pretty good! A little while later will surely find me wandering in the bathroom for one thing or another, at which point I notice the dark circles that have decided to permanently befriend my eyes these days. Sooo we dot on a little concealer. Oooh! That’s better!

My son gets on the bus and by late morning I believe it just becomes a creative outlet. Here is a box FULL of color, placed in the hands of a girl who LOVES to color with her kids – they are at school and I REALLY should be cleaning! But who can resist! Sweep on some pretty apricot blush, whatever color eye shadow I find appealing at the moment… then we must outline with the fun pencils and mascara! Nice!

I never spent this kind of time “coloring” when my kids were home all day. Did I even get dressed? Sure! In my husband’s sweats, usually. I have to laugh when I now find myself deciding which pair of barn jeans will look best with the old t-shirt I have chosen for the day. My favorite place to shop for clothes is Tractor Supply Company. Even better is when I actually get compliments on my TSC jeans (because you NEVER wear a brand new pair directly to the barn. Unless they are overalls, they start out as good clothes!) My girlfriends are usually surprised when I tell them where I bought them.

So barn fashion is now an upgrade from the old mommy wear. No wonder I feel like a diva! Work boots are shoes WITH HEELS… Fancy stuff, I’m telling you! Step aside, Opal, the afternoon shift just strutted in…

1 comment:

  1. D'oh! I kept reading... You gave me the 'out' and I kept going.

    ReplyDelete