Monday, October 21, 2019

Hiatus

/hīˈādəs/
noun
a pause or gap in a sequence, series, or process.
"there was a brief hiatus in the war with France"


  1. Last week, an unintended hiatus in the writing progress happened. Didn't even make it a month before Life Interruptus decided to run naked and screaming while banging cymbals through my routine! Life Interruptus can be a real pain. It can also be really fun. Thankfully, the wild child brought good things.

    Except the update that put my laptop, and my writing on pause. 

    Actually, it was more the evening events happening that put my writing on pause. That and my lack of determination to come home and WRITE the 30 minutes every night that I intended! When discipline decides to get into a competition with sleep, sleep is going to win. Unless the Anxiety trump card gets thrown - and honestly, it did! But what that amounted to was 2AM laundry detail. 

    So I took a week off. There are going to be a couple of nights this week I don't see much writing happening either. 

    The great news is, there are still things to share. Still progress being made.

    Not barn progress per se, but things that maybe will get to live in the barn someday progress. 

    *****WARNING***** PLEASE READ NO FURTHER IF YOU CANNOT KEEP A SECRET****


    You see, I have a kiddo turning 18 next month. 
    Yes, EIGHTEEN. Every parent will tell you their kid is not like any other kid. Every parent will tell you their kid is special. Mine is too. She's not going to college. We're not sure what the future holds for her. There's one thing we know:
    The girl LOVES cows. 

    She says "cows are my spirit animal." Good thing she was born to a family that is still connected to farm, right? 

    She was born to a family that has registered Holsteins. She loves them!
    And she also loves Brown Swiss.
    Oh Me Too!
    Except, I've never owned a Brown Swiss. Never even considered that one. 
    My girl on the other hand... She's considered owning a Brown Swiss. A couple of years ago, my girl decided one day, she was GOING to own a Brown Swiss. 

    SO, for my soon-to-be 18-year-old, who will not have me wringing my hands over helping her fund tuition, there will be a Brown Swiss Calf. The Good Lord Willing and all goes well, she will be a show calf and the beginning of my girl's very own Brown Swiss cow family. My dad is the cattleman in our little tribe. My girl is incredibly lucky to have him invested in this journey, and ready to help her with trying to develop her own Brown Swiss cow family. I love their relationship and am greatly looking forward to being in the back seat on their journey. 

    My girl is also an alternate dairy princess for our county. She's excited her grandpa is taking her to an event this week. She said "I get grandpa all to myself! I'm his partner in crime." 

    Sometimes she says things like that, and when she walks away I just look up and breathe "thank you." 

    My dad is for my girl what his mom was for me... the greatest blessing in life. Everyone should get to have someone like that.

    So for those of you who know her and have shared links about cow cuddling... know that still whirls in my mind. Those of you who know her know what cows and farm have done for her. Those in the therapy fields who know her understand that there may be no better therapy on earth than FARM. 

    It's time you also know there is a vision here that sees us one day sharing the opportunities my girl has had with other humans - especially the ones that aren't like others - the ones that are special. 

    The writing will come back. Last week, we were living. The spice for the writing is in the living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment