Friday, December 20, 2013

New Direction for a Digital Dairy Diva

This blog has been left hanging, as I left my place at my family farm and moved more deeply into a realm where my true strengths lie: communications. I really, really enjoy writing, and social media has allowed me to use my talents and create an income base, right from home. Sometimes I wish I could write while moving around (that's when I miss milking cows!), as being stuck at a desk for long periods of time is probably the greatest drawback to my profession; but every occupation has it's disadvantages, and I surely wouldn't trade mine.

Truly, I thought this blog was dead. Lately I've been thinking, perhaps, it has a higher purpose than I originally intended. The roots of this path can be traced back 20 years, when I became a dairy princess. 

At 18, I felt reluctant (to say the least!) about donning a crown, dress (and pantyhose - ACK!!) and parading around like, well... like a princess. As I thought about my speech for pageant, it became clear that I did have an agenda. I realized the personal importance I placed on farmers representing themselves. Being a rather independent sort myself, I didn't think it was a wise choice to place all of your promotional eggs in one basket. The same is true today. Farmers are busy, busy people (as most independent business owners are!), and many don't attend to their advertising. When you have an nationwide organization such as the American Dairy Association and Dairy Council (ADADC) doing the heavy lifting for you, it's easy to think you don't have to worry about promoting your farm.

The caveat to that is, the ADADC is promoting milk, they are not promoting your individual farm. Truly, only you can do that. I believe there is a lot of value in doing so.

My premise 20 years ago remains today. Every farm has a unique quality that is marketable, and may result in a secondary source of income! When you make your business shine apart from the rest, people will come to you and open up a wealth of new opportunities. No matter if it is selling bull calves out of your barn or expanding a cheesemaking hobby, your farm has something that sets it apart from everyone else. I am sure of it!

The advantage we have today is the digital forum. The Internet hosts a wealth of possibilities from web pages and blog to social media networks, and many of these outlets will cost you no more than the investment you have already made in your Internet Service Provider. Hence, a new path has been born for every business on the planet, and there is absolutely no reason the dairy industry should be left behind!

So, if you are up for a little trip with me, I'd like to help you guide your personal media campaign. I promise you, it is not hard! To do it right, you need to put a little forethought and planning into your actions. I'll take you through that, too. Together, we can put dairy on the map in a whole new way.

Are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget